WILLIAM STEELE HOLMAN, II
Born York, Alabama, December 29, 1952
Almost since his admission to the Bar in 1986, Steele Holman has defended line-haul, LTL, and logging truck companies and drivers in motor vehicle accidents. While transportation comprises the majority of Holman’s practice, he also defends construction defect, general liability and workers’ compensation cases as well as insurance coverage. Holman holds the Martindale Hubbell AV© rating.
Holman holds licenses in Alabama, Georgia, and Mississippi and is admitted to the various courts of those states. He is active in the Trucking Industry Defense Association and the DRI’s Trucking Law Committee. He has spoken and written on a number of trucking-related topics. He also belongs to the DRI’s Construction Law, Workers’ Compensation, and Diversity Committees. He is past editor of DRI Trucking Law Committee’s In Transit and the DRI Construction Law Committee’s Critical Path newsletters. Holman also is a member of the Alabama Defense Lawyers Association, the Mississippi Defense Lawyers Association, and the Mobile Bar Association. Holman leads the firm’s Rapid Response Team for accidents investigation and is the firm contact with the Alabama Trucking Association.
Holman is married to Lee McGahagin and they have two grown children. He has served on various community boards and in the adult literacy program at Goodwill Easter Seals.
BAR AND COURT ADMISSIONS
State Bar of Georgia 1986
Alabama State Bar 1986
The Mississippi Bar 2007
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Alabama 1986
U.S. District Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit 1986
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Alabama 1989
U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Alabama 1989
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Mississippi 2007
Auburn University B.A. 1976
University of Georgia J.D. 1986
- When Things Turn Ugly: Defending against Allegations of Road Rage. Article, For The Defense magazine. January 2008.
- Texas Court Upholds Pre-Injury Releases by Leased Drivers; case brief on Tamez v. Southwestern Motor Transport, Inc., 155 S.W. 3d 564 (Tex. App. Dec. 8, 2004). In Transit: The Newsletter of the DRI Trucking Law Committee. 2004
- Eleventh Circuit Restricts Proof of Jurisdictional Amount in Diversity Removal Cases; case brief on Lowery v. Alabama Power Co., 483 F.3d 1184, 1213-14 (11th Cir. 2007). In Transit: The Newsletter of the DRI Trucking Law Committee. 2008
- FMCSA Halts Rulemaking on Shifting Roadability Responsibility for Intermodal Container Chassis. Article, In Transit: The Newsletter of the DRI Trucking Law Committee. February 2004
- Industry Anticipating Announcement of FMCSA Plans for Hours-of-Service Rules; Article, In Transit: The Newsletter of the DRI Trucking Law Committee, January 2008.
- Fifth Circuit Holds that MCS-90 Does Not Make Excess Insurer Primary When Insured and Underlying Insurers Are Insolvent; case brief on Wells v. Gulf Ins. Co., 484 F.3d 313 (5th Cir. April 4, 2007). Article, In Transit: The Newsletter of the DRI Trucking Law Committee.
- Cause of action: Wrongful death of a fetus. Presentation, 2012 Arkansas Trucking Seminar, Springfield, Arkansas, September 20, 2012.
- Alabama Workers’ Compensation Overview 2012. Presentation and paper, Forman Legal Services Workers’ Compensation Update in Alabama, Mobile, Alabama, September 14, 2012.
- Niki Cung, Harvey Mensch, Don Holman, and Steele Holman. Tell Me You Didn’t Fire the Driver. Panel discussion and written materials, Trucking Industry Defense Association Annual Meeting, Memphis, Tennessee, October 2006.
- Exclusion of Employment Discipline Evidence as a Subsequent Remedial Measure under FRE 407 and Confronting the Preventability/Negligence Dilemma. Presentation and paper, DRI Trucking Law Conference, Chicago, Illinois, March 2006.
- Steele Holman and Walton Jackson: Negligent and Bad Faith Failure to Settle within Policy Limits: A Survey of Law in the Southeastern States. Presentation and paper for private insurer, December 2005.
- Compliance Reviews and Safety Audits under the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations. Presentation and paper, 2004 DRI Trucking Law Conference, St. Louis, Missouri, March 2004.
- Exclusion of Driver Discipline As A Subsequent Remedial Measure. Presentation and Paper, 2003 DRI Annual Meeting’s Trucking Law Committee Business Meeting, October 16, 2003.
- Personal Jurisdiction Based Upon Internet Activity. Presentation and Outline. CLE Presentation, Mobile, Alabama, December 2001.
- Recent Developments in Alabama Fraud Law. Presentation and paper, Mobile American Inns of Court, October 25, 1994.
Five Dauphin Street
Suite 301 - Bayport Building
Post Office Box 11
Mobile, AL 36601
(251) 694-1998 Fax